A powerful hallucinogenic drug found in several plants that can be smoked, snorted or mixed with ayahuasca
How the drug works varies from person to person
- How you might feel
- Tripped out, see or feel things that aren’t there and/or feel quiet, frightened, confused.
- Raised blood pressure, heart rate and feeling sick.
- How long it takes to work
- Smoking DMT has an immediate effect. Can take much longer if taken orally.
- How long the effects last
- DMT trips can be intense but don’t usually last very long.
What does it look like?
- A white crystalline powder or solid, when in its pure form
- A yellow, orange or pink powder or solid, when not pure – which is more common
- A brownish/green herbal mixture, when mixed with herbs to make changa
- A brownish/red liquid when part of an ayahuasca brew
What does it taste/smell like?
DMT has a very strong and unusual smell and taste which people have likened to burnt plastic and new shoes.
DMT can be injected, smoked or snorted.
Because DMT is a very harsh and potent drug to smoke, it is sometimes mixed with herbs – such as ayahuasca – to make changa. Each batch of changa is different depending on what herbs are used, so strengths vary.
The South American plant, chacruna, contains DMT and is sometimes mixed with the ayahuasca plant to make the shamanic brew, ayahuasca.
DMT can be prepared for injecting, and this is particularly dangerous.
DMT can be crushed up into a powder and snorted.
How does it make you feel?
DMT is known for giving users a very intense ‘trip’ – the name given to the experience of taking psychedelic drugs.
The world appears very distorted when you trip on DMT: colours, sounds, objects and even time can seem very strange, and some people experience out-of-body experiences.
Taking DMT can make you:
- see and hear things that aren’t there (hallucinate), which might be a good or bad experience
- feel like time and movement is speeding up or slowing down
- feel like colours and sounds are distorted, this is sometimes called ‘visuals’
- have double vision
- feel like you’re having an out-of-body experience
How does it make people behave?
How long the effects last and the drug stays in your system depends on how much you’ve taken, your size and what other drugs you may have also taken.
To kick in
When smoked, DMT kicks in very quickly. When taken as part of an ayahuasca ceremony, it can take much longer to take effect.
How long it lasts
DMT trips are known for being extremely intense but also very short – sometimes lasting only a few minutes. When taken as part of an ayahuasca ceremony, a DMT trip can last several hours.
Showing 1–9 of 12 results